The Senator of pro-gun Vermont, Bernie Sanders, has called for banning all non-hunting guns in the US. According to Sanders, “Certain types of guns exclusively used to kill people, not for hunting, should not be sold in America.”
Although no specifics were offered, Sanders most likely meant that handguns, certain rifles, and many shotguns should no longer be available for purchase in the United States.
This adds even more proof that “common sense gun legislation” means “prevent innocent people from the right to defend themselves.” When someone breaks into your home, and the cops take 30 minutes to come over and kill your dog, should your only defense be a hunting rifle?
Firearm ownership is not merely for killing rabbits, it’s to protect yourself from intruders. Unlike statements made by those who want you unarmed, the fact is that law abiding gun owners stop crimes.
Here’s some stats to chew on:
* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year — or about 6,850 times a day. This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.
* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.
* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.
* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of “Guns in America” — a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.
* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606). And readers of Newsweek learned that “only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The ‘error rate’ for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high.”
* Handguns are the weapon of choice for self-defense. Citizens use handguns to protect themselves over 1.9 million times a year.